Women in Tech

Marianne Slotboom
Jul 5, 2022

Women in Tech: Is the Time Now?

Yellow Training says yes, but with the necessary support.

The tech industry has exploded within the last two years, largely due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Numerous businesses and individuals have had to rely on technology to keep their companies afloat as remote work became the new normal, and market demands rapidly evolved. This demand for new, efficient, and rapid technology has opened up new doors for millions of people who are just entering the workforce or thinking of a career change, like women in tech. However, as industries advance and different opportunities arise, there is a great chance that historically marginalized groups of society are left behind as their counterparts are seen as the more ideal candidate.

Is this the right time for these marginalized groups, particularly women in tech, to strengthen their skills and enter this industry? Yellow Training says yes, but let’s take a look at the pros and cons.

Women in Tech - Team Meeting

Pros for Women in Tech

Involving yourself within the tech industry is an amazing outlet for your creative side. Sarah Frisk, a UX Engineer and storyteller, grew up drawing and playing video games. As a result, she has found a career in tech, specifically programming, that lets her pursue her passion of creating and is a form of self-expression.

With society demanding more systemic change toward inclusion and equality, companies want to become more diverse and hire individuals from underrepresented communities. According to DataProt, big name tech companies such as Apple, Google, and Facebook, have roughly the same ratio of male and female employees with 70% of their workforce being male, and the other 30% female. However, the Girl Scout Research Institute found that 74% of female teens express interest in STEM. With this overwhelming influx of young women interested in careers related to tech, companies should be itching at the chance to hire more women in tech with unique perspectives and advance the company further.

Finally, there are many institutions and organizations that provide effective, affordable, and life changing programs to enhance the careers for women in tech. These readily available programs are here to help women gain more confidence in themselves and feel empowered to take the next step. Yellow Training offers just that. The Yellow Training Women in Tech program is here to support ambitious women who are looking to be more visible within their field and helps them to communicate with impact, get well compensated, and network better. All skills that make you feel more comfortable within a male dominated world. Being a woman in tech can make you feel outnumbered, but you are not alone. These programs and initiatives are here to support you and guide you down a path of confidence and success.

Read more about our Women in Tech Program.

Cons for Women in Tech

While society seems to be taking many leaps forward when it comes to dealing with systemic racism and discrimination, there is no doubt that such oppression still exists today and is unfortunately seen within the tech industry. The 2015 Pao v. Kleiner Perkins Gender Discrimination Lawsuit unfortunately shows that reality.

Ellen Pao received degrees from Princeton and Harvard and had worked in the tech industry for seven years before joining Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, one of the largest venture capital firms in Silicon Valley. Pao began a relationship with a male colleague shortly after starting at Kleiner Perkins in 2005, but quickly ended it. Soon after, that same colleague was promoted to senior manager, and began leaving her out of meetings, emails, and general business decisions. Pao claimed to have been denied a promotion and compensation and was ultimately fired due to her gender. Pao also claimed her internal complaints of discrimination and retaliation were ignored and met with inaction. However, Pao lost her case and the jury believed Kleiner Perkins’ claim that she was fired due to her own performance.

Pao v. Kleiner Perkins is just one of many unfortunate cases of discrimination and unequal treatment of women in tech. In such a male dominated industry, it can be incredibly intimidating for women to break through and begin a career in tech. However, Yellow Training is here to support you. With the right tools and team behind you, you can accomplish anything and prove to yourself and others that the time for Women in Tech is now.


Marianne Slotboom
The author
Marianne Slotboom

Marianne is a strategic partner and practical developer of human behavior that helps leaders, teams and organizations become more focused and effective, elevating their value to customers. In 2015, Marianne founded Yellow Training to answer the call for more inspirational and creative leadership in the modern workplace.

More about the author

This might also interest you