How do you prepare yourself for a successful career in tech?
A lot of women already have accepted that it needs an extra effort to make a career in tech, but at the same time, they want to do this in their own authentic way.
This is what it needs!
It is not about fitting in and adjusting to the men’s way of doing things. Instead, you want to be yourself and bring your authentic strengths into the tech environment. I am convinced that more female influence will make it a better place for men and women.
My advice is to accept that you have to make this extra effort, while tech is still a male-dominated world and prepare yourself for this career in your own authentic way.
More specifically, this is what you can do:
• Accept that women still have to make an extra effort.
• Set long-term career goals and make these known to your manager.
• Recognize your personal barriers and work on these with a mentor or coach.
• Build the self-confidence to act upon your needs and goals.
• Use strategies to grow in your position while maintaining authentic to yourself.
• Develop the key skills to obtain more influence, like presentation, communication and negotiation skills.
• Be assertive and create win-win situations.
• Make sure you find yourself a good mentor.
• Sign up for stretching assignments, the most effective way to be visible and get promoted.
• Get inspired and supported by strategies other women use.
• Organize a good work-life balance and structure your household well.
Do we honestly still need this in 2021?
This might be a question that holds you back, but yes, unfortunately it is still needed, extrasupport for women. In the last decades, women have made almost no progression as it comes to gender equality. For example, it is calculated by the EuropeanCommission that the pay gap has only decreased just under 2% over the last 8years. The reasons: fewer opportunities and fewer promotions. Apart from a lot of other initiatives, like equality plans, quotas, this special support for women is still needed.
Are you ready to take charge and do it your way?
Find yourself a Women in Tech program and community to support you on this. There are many programs, organizations, workshops, communities that can give you the help and support you need.
You don't have to do it alone!